Friday, September 16, 2011

Spring Bulbs Peaking Through


It's a mystery how plants know it is time to emerge but the first time I saw my Muscari (Grape Hyacinth) emerging in the fall I panicked. I knew this was a spring bulb- a little beauty known for it's blue grape-like clusters of blooms. I had seen it in other gardens and rather than being jealous I decided to jump in with joy.... I planted a couple hundred of them all at once. They are so easy to toss on the soft fall soil and push in about an inch with a quick finger poke.

In a few seasons little guys spread to make clusters and provide a month of pure joy in late May. They are not the earliest source of colour- at least a month after Hepatica or Bloodroot - but they are a pleasant surprise in between the earlies and the mid-June Peonies. So when I see them coming up in fall it reminds me where they are and I don't accidentally plant over them!

Here is a picture of what they will look like in spring beside the bloodroot leaves that emerge after their white blooms finish:

No comments: